On these pages I'd like to share interesting and
medical stories about the individuals which make up our family
tree. If you have an amusing, interesting or medical story about
our family members please share them with me.
From the Parker's in Arizona to the Sepulveda's
and Machado's in Pueblo de Los Angeles, Debbie's ancestors are
well documented in shaping the old west. Parker descendents
still maintain a family ranch nestled in the Huachuca Mountains
of Southeastern Arizona.
Ancestry Report for
Helen Delores Parker
Parker Sr. was born in Tennessee about 1824. He is
said to be a cousin of Comanche Indian Chief Quanah Parker
(confirmed!). He migrated to Missouri, married, had two
sons, John and James, before 1849 when William traveled west
to San Luis Obispo County, CA. during the gold rush. They
remained in CA. for about 15 years, where he mined for gold
and farmed. He moved his family about 1867, eventually
settling in the Huachuca Mountains of Southeastern Arizona.
The area now bears his name - Parker Canyon. They, and many
of their descendants became very prominent ranchers in
Southern Arizona. William died around the turn of the
century, and is buried in the canyon he so loved.
Parker, Jr. (aka Uncle Billy), was born in San Luis
Obispo, Ca. in 1860. His family had located there to mine
gold and farm. When he was about 8 years old, the family
excitedly moved to the growing Territory of Arizona, first
settling in Prescott. In 1880 when the territorial capital
was changed the family moved again, this time to the growing
small town of Phoenix. This change was to be short. During
the same year the Elder Parker acted on his dream to settle
in the Huachuca Mountains of Southern Arizona which he had
remembered when he crossed them in 1849 in the gold rush
Now an adult, "Uncle Billy" joined the family in the move.
He followed his father's life of ranching, establishing his
own ranch near Canelo, AZ. He was married in 1884 to Eva
Landers and together they had seven children. "Uncle Billy's
ranch and adobe house remain in the family today.
He was in this area when singing railroad workers connected
the rail line which connected Arizona and Sonora at Nogales.
He took part in the campaign against marauding Indians,
defending his home and property on several occasions. He was
almost 40 years of age when Santa Cruz County was carved out
of Pima County in 1899. In that year his wife died. In 1905
he married again to Annie Musgrave, sister of the famed
outlaw George West Musgrave.
Parker was the fifth child of William A. Parker Jr.
and Eva Louisa Landers Parker. Elmer was born in Parker
Canyon, which had been settled by his grandfather in 1882.
Having been born into the ranching family, horses, cows,
brush-popping and roping were second nature to the happy go
lucky and hard working youngster. He left ranch work at 16
for a muleskinner's job with an Army pack train that carried
supplies to remote army camps. In those days, all civilian
packers and teamsters were assigned to one troop. He was
with Troop G of the Fourth Cavalry during the Hadero revolt.
Driving a supply wagon wasn't quite as adventurous or as
filled with excitement as some TV or movie scripts would
make it seem, but boredom never bothered anyone. In 1913,
Elmer moved to Los Angeles and he returned to ranching in
1915 on Santa Rosa Island where as many as 9000 head of
cattle roamed at one time.
A year later, he returned to Arizona and the Army again,
this time as a truck driver on one of the first motorized
supply caravans in the army.
A short time later he began a new career back in California
at Terminal Island, he joined the Los Angles Fire
Department. Firefighting back in those days was an uphill
battle and all by hand. There were only hand reels and 500
feet of hose that had to be drug to every fire. Off the main
street, the roads were nothing but sand. The reel would get
stuck in the sand nearly every time. There were other reels,
all stationed at different points around town for such
Cow country called again and Elmer went back to ranching in
Arizona, but he returned to San Pedro in 1918 to wed Alice
Harriman, whom he had met while a fireman on Terminal
After several years as a shipyard worker, dockhand, tank
builder and dairyman, he rejoined the fire department where
he spent 31 and a half years, all in the harbor area.
Josephine Harriman was born in Los Angeles, the only
child of Edgar Francis Harriman and Leonora Josephina Oden.
She was living with her parents on Terminal Island when she
met Elmer Parker. On June 04, 1918, the pretty doll faced
girl and her Arizona cowboy husband-to-be boarded the
ferryboat Real for their elopement across the channel to San
Pedro. They climbed the bluff and hurried up the hill to old
Mary Star of the Sea Church. There, Fr. McGrath performed
the marriage ceremony in his rectory.
Alice is a descendant of the historic Machado family,
related to the Sepulvedas, the early rancho owners. Alice
was active in community activities. She was a member of a
number of groups including the Woman's Club of San Pedro,
San Pedro Community Hospital Auxiliary, Rudecinda Parlor,
230, Native Daughters of the Golden West, in which she was a
past president and the Thirty Year Club of which she was
Alice's great grandmother was the widow of Dolores
Sepulveda, who was killed in a fight with the Indians, as he
was returning south from the city of Monterey.
Oden came from West Virginia to Wilmington, CA. soon
after the arrival of Phineas T. Banning. Oden was a
carpenter and wheelwright. He soon was making coaches and
wagons and teaching his trade to others. Several vehicles he
made are known to be still in existence. One is at the L.A.
County Museum in Exposition Park and one remains at Banning
Manor in Wilmington. George had another distinction. He
married sisters. First he married Maria, then Ellen, both
widows, who were daughters of
Jose'F Manuel Orchaga Y Machado
1781, Los Angeles is founded and, while the pueblo is
still young, its citizens discover that the Culver City
valley is good pasture ground for cattle. Within the decade
after the eleven families from Sonora and Sinaloa started
building Los Angeles' first houses, the names of Machado,
Higuera, Talamantes and Lopez were established in the
community. Members of these families were to become the
first white settlers along Ballona Creek, the first white
occupants of the valley land that stretches from Culver City
to the sea. One of the soldier-guard who came from Sonora to
Los Angeles as a member of the Rivera-Moncada expedition of
1781 was 25-year-old Jose' Manuel Machado. He brought with
him a 17-year-old wife, Maria. It was this Machado whose
sons Augustin and Ygnacio were to settle Rancho La Ballona.
A few years after the founding of the Pueblo, Felipe
Talamantes and his brother Tomas became Los Angeles
citizens. Later they shared with the young Machado men in
their ranch venture. The alcalde of the pueblo in the year
1800 was Joaquin Higuera. His son, Bernardo, was to settle
the land that adjoined the Rancho La Ballona on the
northeast - Rancho Rincon de los Bueyes. Meanwhile the
people of the pueblo, with vague ideas about the boundaries
of their own four square leagues of land, needed more good
pasturage for their cattle. The Rincon and the Ballona,
lying to the southwest, could qualify and in addition were
so far from San Gabriel and San Fernando as to be unclaimed
by the Missions. At a very early period, then, cattle owners
from the pueblo were visiting the Culver City valley.
was born about 1675 to a Huguenot (Protestant) family in
France. His immigration to America was a direct result of
religious persecution in France. The Edict of Nantes, a
decree of King Henry IV in 1598, ended a series of religious
wars between Catholics and Protestants that began in 1562.
The Edict provided some measure of religious freedom to the
Huguenots but its provisions were never fully implemented.
Persecution of Protestants continued especially after 1681.
Then, in 1685 the Edict was revoked by Louis XIV and
hundreds of thousands of Huguenots were forced to flee
France and take refuge in Protestant Countries. That the
family of Louis Tacquett fled to England is shown by his
name being found on a 1686-87 list of Huguenots for whom
passage to Virginia was paid by an Englishman, Nicholas
Hayward. Also included on this list was Louis Reynaud (Reno)
who came to Virginia at the same time and whose family was
very close to the Tacketts there.
Ft. Tackett once stood near St. Albans, West Virginia. Fort
Tackett was built in 1786 on land that originally belonged
to George Washington and deeded to him for his service in
the French and Indian War. 31 people lived there in 1790
when the Shawnee Indians attacked and captured several
settlers and took them to Michigan. Most of them eventually
escaped and returned to this area. Six months later they
attacked again and killed Christopher Tackett and several
children, kidnapped several others and burned the fort.
Several hid from the attack and managed to escape to Ft.
Clendenin, later Charleston. The first white child born in
the Kanawha Valley was born to Kizah Tackett.